At Archers Brook School, the PE curriculum provides all pupils with a range of opportunities to participate in PE, sport and physical activity for 2 hours each week. The PE curriculum is highly inclusive and is skilfully designed to meet the needs and interests of all pupils. We adapt activities to allow pupils to fully engage in PE, acquiring knowledge and skills in a sequenced approach for future learning in order to build a lifelong mental and physical healthy lifestyle.
The KS2 provision provides weekly swimming lessons to all of its pupils to enable them to achieve the minimum National expectations by the end of KS2.
|The PE staff promote highly effective learning with the use of regular praise and feedback. The teaching from all staff is well planned and organised and the learning steps are broken down into manageable chunks using their excellent subject knowledge. The expectations of pupils is high and they are all challenged to achieve outstanding progress from their starting point.|
All pupils acquire new knowledge and skills, developing in-depth understanding in KS3 PE and KS4 Sport. The broad curriculum at Archers Brook allows pupils to practice skills in a wide range of activities and make outstanding progress.
Pupils show a great commitment to PE and eagerly participate in lessons based on team or individual sports.
Almost every pupil at KS2 can swim 25m and are safe in the water.
Through the Key Stages
The Key Stage 2 programme consists of 2 hours of physical activity each week. 1 hour 30mins of this physical activity involves pupils taking part in various games which focus on developing their basic movement skills. For the additional 30mins of PE time the pupils travel to Ellesmere Port Sports Village to take part in swimming lessons, where we aim for our pupils to reach the National expectation of swimming 25m of frontrawl and backstroke. Regardless of their ability, every pupil is encouraged to take part in PE to develop skills, build confidence, build self esteem and to enjoy themselves.
By the end of K.S.2 pupils should be able to show they can;
- Develop new skills safely across the activities undertaken.
- Understand how exercise impacts on the body and why it is healthy
- Appreciate strengths and accept areas for improvement and suggest ways of improving themselves and others.
K.S.3 pupils have four 30 minute sessions of curriculum PE time each week. K.S.3 pupils work through a programme of activities during the year alongside occasional recreational PE lessons where activity options are provided.
By the end of K.S.3 pupils should be able to show they can;
- Adopt and refine existing skills and develop new skills safely across the activities undertaken.
- Understand the short and long term effects of exercise on the body and decide where to focus their involvement in physical activity for a healthy and enjoyable lifestyle.
- Evaluate and understand how well they and others have achieved what they set out to do, appreciate strengths and weaknesses and suggest ways of improving.
- Devise and improve strategies and tactics across the activities undertaken.
KS3 Learning Road Map
K.S.4 pupils have four 30 minute sessions of curriculum PE time per week. Should students wish to they can undertake an NCFE Level 2 Certificate in Sport, Exercise and Fitness, which is timetabled for three 1 hour sessions during option time each week. K.S.4 pupils have the opportunity to access all activities on a recreational basis during core PE such as; football, basketball, health and fitness, badminton and dodgeball. These activities are carefully selected by the subject teacher so that the needs of the pupils are met during the academic year. Outdoor and Adventurous activities are undertaken through the P.S.D programme each week.
By the end of K.S.4 pupils should;
- Increase knowledge, competence and safe performance in activities undertaken.
- Carry out a healthy and enjoyable lifestyle considering the use of community resources where appropriate.
- Develop and apply their own criteria for judging performance.
- Understand and undertake different roles within the activities undertaken.
The PE department also hold an annual Sports Day held at Ellesmere Port Sports Village running track in the summer term. All pupils are encouraged to participate and the whole day is focused on maximising enjoyment and participation. We have had some brilliant days in the past with some excellent performances too and we look forward to many more.
PE host a weekly football training session on a Thursday afternoon for Key Stage 3 and Key Stage 4 students. This is a very inclusive training session for all students in school regardless of their ability. We feel as a department these experiences develop self-esteem and confidence in our students that helps them succeed in other academic subjects. At the end of the academic year, we arrange for the pupils to attend a stadium tour as a reward for all of their hard work and enthusiasm. Below you can see some of the photographs from previous tours at the Etihad Stadium and Anfield.